Thursday, February 23, 2017

Self Portrait in full value

I wanted to start my blog out with something overtly artsy. Here is a drawing that I did of myself for a homework assignment in Professor Troutman's drawing 3 class. This is the first full-value self-portrait that I have done since about 6th grade, so I would say that my future looks bright! The key is layering your materials. I began with graphite pencil for the main outlines and then moved onto vine charcoal for the big shadows. I finished it up with a soft charcoal pencil and erased in order to add in some highlights. Drawing with pencil and charcoal is a no-no, but I find it easier to get small details. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Marly your art is amazing! i have trouble with layering different materials , I will have to practice more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria,
      It just takes patience. I find that if I listen to music and lose myself in my work, it becomes much more enjoyable, and time passes by quickly! The more you practice the better you will become. Do you draw?

      Delete
  2. This is very creative! I love tone you decided to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shantel! Shading is one of the most difficult concepts for me.

      Delete